Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing a car outside over winter

Default Storing a car outside over winter

Unfortunately this coming winter, I won't be able to keep my summer car inside I need to start looking into the best way to protect it while it is parked on my driveway.

Anyone got good suggestions on brands or types of car covers?

Quote Originally Posted by l2ich84 View Post
    Unfortunately this coming winter, I won't be able to keep my summer car inside I need to start looking into the best way to protect it while it is parked on my driveway.

Anyone got good suggestions on brands or types of car covers?
    You need to check the material of the car cover. Cheap ones scratch the paint. Another problem is snow melt. On warmer winter days, if there is lots of snow on the car, the water soaks into the car cover and then refreezes, which can again lead to scratches.

Depending on how much you care about the car/how much it is worth, I would do the following:

-Get very soft padded material (some form of thinner blanket) and put it over the horizontal panels of the car.
    -Get a high quality car cover (I'd search for something fitted to your specific car, I have no recommendation on what to actually use as I've only used them on rallycars, paint swirls are the least of my worries)
    -Put a tarp over top that is strapped down to keep water/ice/snow off the actual car cover

Now, this may seem overkill, and it is. This is what I would do for a $20k+ car or a nice summer daily.

Anything else, throw a cheap car cover on it and call it a day, just make sure it is well secured.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    You need to check the material of the car cover. Cheap ones scratch the paint. Another problem is snow melt. On warmer winter days, if there is lots of snow on the car, the water soaks into the car cover and then refreezes, which can again lead to scratches.

Depending on how much you care about the car/how much it is worth, I would do the following:

-Get very soft padded material (some form of thinner blanket) and put it over the horizontal panels of the car.
    -Get a high quality car cover (I'd search for something fitted to your specific car, I have no recommendation on what to actually use as I've only used them on rallycars, paint swirls are the least of my worries)
    -Put a tarp over top that is strapped down to keep water/ice/snow off the actual car cover

Now, this may seem overkill, and it is. This is what I would do for a $20k+ car or a nice summer daily.

Anything else, throw a cheap car cover on it and call it a day, just make sure it is well secured.
    Why not spend $60/month and just store it indoors?
    MAKE 780TUNERS GREAT AGAIN
    Seto cares more about ad revenue and driving social media page views then this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NotZhao View Post
    That is way cheaper than when I last looked for parking. I was getting prices of 120-140/mo. Probably not looking in the right places.

My experience (many years ago) was that a "waterproof car cover" is exactly as waterproof as a blanket.
    I'd never use one again unless I put a tarp over it. Car should be mirror polished before covering.

He asked for storing it outside. You also have to remember, car storing weather is more like 7-8 months, not 6. So he's minimum into $360+ gst plus having to get to the storage place and back, plus go get the car.

And indoor storage ain't $60/month son, just outside red deer we charge $200/month for heated, secure car storage.

damn can you hook me up with that $60 a month indoor storage please

I wouldn't use a car cover for storing it outdoors imo. debris will find its way in there, and wind will blow beneath the cover and you'll end up with scratches. Let the snow cover it lol.
    '13 TL 6MT SH-AWD, '08 ES350, '07 S2000, '07 WRX, '03 Dakota 5.9L R/T

Where would one go for a price like that?