Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Call - Who's left?

Great feedback. Would collapsing the forum topics and having users self moderate (report posts) work?

I still check in weekly.

Its not just our forum, seems like a lot have moved over to Facebook. I just started up my fb account a couple months ago and wow the marketplaces on there dominate anything and everything else. I cant believe how much shit I was missing out on!

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    and someone else banned a guy who had a huge build thread and then he came back trying to ask us to delete it because it was "his property" LoL!
    That was me too..
    And I still see where I was coming from. If an online community doesn't want me as a member then I don't want the content I have contributed generating traffic / money for that community/ business.

Unless theres something in the terms of use or whatever (which I'm sure there probably is) then I still dont really disagree with my old self.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    That was me too..
    And I still see where I was coming from. If an online community doesn't want me as a member then I don't want the content I have contributed generating traffic / money for that community/ business.

Unless theres something in the terms of use or whatever (which I'm sure there probably is) then I still dont really disagree with my old self.
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    If it was THAT relevant and THAT many people actually got banned, or left, it would've deteriorated to its current state in 2014. And, it simply didn't.
    "So, so many people were banned" is the complaint, but I can barely think of two. The majority of the shit disturbers did not end up with permanent bans.
    I recall banning a guy who was essentially running a car business in the For Sale section and someone else banned a guy who had a huge build thread and then he came back trying to ask us to delete it because it was "his property" LoL!

Let's not forget about Photo Bucket wiping out terabytes of pictures from forums across the world, including this one. That was a big nail in the coffin.
    Sounds like you're trying to twist things around. Nobody said there was wild bans happening(however there was definitely more bans than you are caring to remember), consensus has been that the forum was over moderated. Which has now been elaborated on to mean all the thread closing, and telling people what they can post, killing the for sale section. Hell I got a mini ban just for inquiring in one of the for sale threads why posts were being deleted, not even a reply, just a ban. Only to come back when it was lifted to find some rude shit listed under my user name by one of the mods. Stuff like that started killing the place, but people held on for awhile till they finally just gave up and quit coming back. So it wasn't a mega ban of members in 2014 that left no members to come back like you're insinuating is what people are saying.

Jugz, that's not how it works. Its never a mass exodus. Its just a slow trickle as more and more people realize its not worth their time to come here. Its the same way youtube channels die.

You clearly don't understand the affect suspensions even have on people. No offense, but my memory says that you were a pain in the ass for a mod back then and that you may be forgetting some of the crap you did. I'm pretty sure you suspended my account at one point.

The argument is the mods/site admin going full nazi on everyone was the beginning of the end for this site. Whether thats ban, suspensions, deleted posts/threads, or in general shitty mod behaviour (780 by far had the most power tripping mods out of any forum I bothered to be on, as myself like most people just leave if its over moderated).

Edit+-
    Or what misterman said. Mods thinking they are gods and unable to take criticism for poor choices and admitting they were wrong is another thing. Site admins sometimes think these people.are great to have for mods, but again, it kills forums.

We saw a gradual decline as everyone shifted focus to FB and Instagram. Our data doesn't suggest there was a mass exit either. We had to ensure relevance in platforms the masses want which is why the care and feeding of the forums, including moderation has been low the last few years due to limited resources. If you like heavy moderation, our Facebook group has that.

Beyond.ca which was brought up, unfortunately hasn't had that success that we've seen, while 780Tuners continues to have the largest reach in our city. In fact, much more than at the height of the forums popularity. This was and continues to be our goal regardless of the platform.

Our focus here now is to keep those people who prefer the forums happy - we owe it to you. Generally speaking, we've seen a more mature crowd, which requires less "social fame" but more meaningful interaction. Thankfully there are facebook groups like Alberta Shit Show to provide the other side. We agree this requires different moderation and perhaps changes to the format of the forum. We're open to your suggestions.

I was banned numerous times during that time frame. Some were temporary, some were permanent, and even got a couple of IP bans....lol.

It was when the forum was sold/bought or whatever happened back then, that the whole demeanor around here changed.

Rules became enforced and made way more strict than previous. Threads were being deleted, closed/locked, members were given warnings/suspensions/bans and the rest is history.

Oh god, and moderators downright tripping back in the day too.

I like cyanide ride and have nothing against him (I actually met him in person to buy stuff and he was really nice), but man, giving people infractions for something stupid is dumber than the infraction itself. There's something like a "post your good deed for the day" and someone used a word incorrectly so I corrected them. A small argument ensued and we were both given infractions.

The most hypocritical part? The reason for the infraction listed by cynaide? "for being a knob gobbler".

At the very least, lead by example.

That being said, there's no one thing you can do to bring this forum back. IMO, you have to wait for new blood. Build some consistency around moderating rules, stop trying to control how people post (sure, combine threads so there are less duplicates), and do something to bring some traffic back in. Like a raffle or give away or some shit. Bribe people if you have to.

If Sleezey Motorsports can revive their company, this forum sure as shit has a way better shot.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)