Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting on the front of a truck - what is legal/not legal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lighting on the front of a truck - what is legal/not legal

Hello

My headlights just dont seem to b very bright on my 2010 Nissan Titan.......would like to add/upgrade the lighting to have better lighting now that Im driving on the highway more at nights.

Can I add those LED spot or flood lights on the front of my truck if they are low enough? (like in the bumper/valance?)

Are LED/HID headlights legal?

Thanks in advance

Best output would be a projector retrofit. You won't regret it

There are some legal and not legal LED/HID headlights.

That said, spot or flood lights are probably NOT legal on the road. Will you get bugged for them? Maybe; maybe not.

To be legal, all lighting on any part of the vehicle exterior has to be dot approved, which eliminates 99% of aftermarket lights. Even the light bulbs need to be dot approved. There are guidelines online on how high to mount lights, how they need to operate (with high or low beam, etc).
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

IIRC there was something about the number of forward facing bulbs as well which eliminates most LED bars/pods for road use and fog lights are only supposed to work with low beams on and disable with high beams... something along those lines anyways.
    Model View Caffeine

Do you have OEM fog lights?

My first recommendation would be upgrade to LED headlights, if available. If not, go HID.

You could install a light bar, below the headlights. It's not technically legal, but I've had mine for several years and its never been a problem.

I only use it in the dead of night on back country roads when nobody else is around. Or in emergency situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by befarrer View Post
    To be legal, all lighting on any part of the vehicle exterior has to be dot approved, which eliminates 99% of aftermarket lights. Even the light bulbs need to be dot approved. There are guidelines online on how high to mount lights, how they need to operate (with high or low beam, etc).
    Not quite accurate. In Canada they have to meet certain SAE spec depending on whether it's a head light or fog light or aux driving light. DOT/ECE are acceptable for some lights.

That said.. any driving/fog light above the center line of the headlights are not legal for on road use even if they meet SAE/DOT/ECE.
    Some rigid led fog/driving lights to meet spec.

I just upgraded my Dakota to led headlights, not sure if I am a fan. Seems impossible to see colors at night with them, determining road conditions seems harder, and I find the hue or light hard on eyes. Distance does seem marginally better than my standard halogens. I'll see if I can get used to them. Don't like the led street lights for the same reasons.
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

If you don't even like it as the driver, just imagine how much it sucks for the rest of us!