Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting on the front of a truck - what is legal/not legal

Quote Originally Posted by befarrer View Post
    I just upgraded my Dakota to led headlights, not sure if I am a fan. Seems impossible to see colors at night with them, determining road conditions seems harder, and I find the hue or light hard on eyes. Distance does seem marginally better than my standard halogens. I'll see if I can get used to them. Don't like the led street lights for the same reasons.
    I upgraded my RAM to LED headlights last Christmas. Best upgrade I've ever done. Easily as bright as HID. No problems with warmup times, switching back and forth between low and high, ballasts/bulbs not firing, etc. etc. I had nothing but problems with HID's over the years. Love my LED's. They've been in for almost a year now and not a single complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Most of the time, LED isn't an upgrade. They just have different color, or a hotspot in a different location, and people are happy to see change. Most of them give glare to the oncoming traffic.
    Only brand I know of worth looking into is Diode Dynamics. They put a lot of research into their products, but they aren't cheap. I'm sure there is other quality brands as well

I run LEDs... the other day on the highway I had to pull over a few times to wipe the snow off of them.

Only real downside of LEDs unless you run heated ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickXeo View Post
    I run LEDs... the other day on the highway I had to pull over a few times to wipe the snow off of them.

Only real downside of LEDs unless you run heated ones.
    I believe driving faster may blow the snow away.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    I believe driving faster may blow the snow away.
    Faster than 120km?

I run fanless LED's with braided heatsinks stuffed inside the housings. So my headlights get warm enough to melt snow. But not hot enough (like HID's) to melt the housings or discolor the bowls.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

I wonder if something like a ceramic coating on the lens would help prevent snow from accumulating on them with bulbs that are not hot enough to melt it away.
    Model View Caffeine