Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood stoves as supplemental/back up heat

Question Wood stoves as supplemental/back up heat

We're looking to augment the heating at the farm so we don't freeze if a winter storm knocks out power and/or gas for an extended period of time. Also, wood heat just kicks ass.

The house was built in 1913 so it's design accommodates adding a wood stove without too much trouble.

Already have a quote from a chimney company to come and ensure we're not going to burn the house down from too much creosote buildup.

I've found a good looking Norwegian built model for less than half of retail price, and a domestic market stove that costs half of that again.

Both are CSA rated for solid fuel combustion in a home, so no worries there. Sized for the application too.

Any thoughts, experiences... pros, cons?
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Stove is the key, not just a fireplace where all the heat pukes up the chimney. I've had more than one Fisher brand insert-stoves over the years and they were excellent. Their design exploits convection airflow and they kick out lots of heat.

This will go into the basement, and tie into the chimney which is centre of the house, just below the kitchen. So I figure once the basement concrete is warmed up it'll act as a nice thermal mass to help keep the house warm via convection. Probably keep the kitchen tile warm too.

It's a stove in that there's a flat spot on top to use to heat pots/pans if necessary. The original farm stove (wood/coal) is actually in the garage if we realllly needed. But that sucker is HEAVY and could use a bit of a refurb before recommissioning (surface rust). I was leaning toward using that in the garage for winter heat.

Here's an pic from Google of the more expensive stove:

Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    This will go into the basement, and tie into the chimney which is centre of the house, just below the kitchen. So I figure once the basement concrete is warmed up it'll act as a nice thermal mass to help keep the house warm via convection. Probably keep the kitchen tile warm too.

It's a stove in that there's a flat spot on top to use to heat pots/pans if necessary. The original farm stove (wood/coal) is actually in the garage if we realllly needed. But that sucker is HEAVY and could use a bit of a refurb before recommissioning (surface rust). I was leaning toward using that in the garage for winter heat.

Here's an pic from Google of the more expensive stove:

Yeah, I meant use a Fisher Insert if you have a fireplace cavity and your intent is heat.
    If you are looking for a standing stove option, consider something round that looks more like a chiminea. We used to have something I think was called a Yodel and a single log in that thing overheated the house. It was amazing.

No fireplace, unfortunately. Not sure if that's due to never having been installed or removal over the years of subsequent add-ons or renovations. Never heard of a Fisher insert though, so I'll check that out; thanks for the heads up.

My grandma used to have a round-ish stove like you mention, kind of like a standing garlic clove. Thing was amazing with it's heat output.

But that won't work with our plan, which is to have not only a back up heat source, but a secondary option to boil water and cook food if the power/gas ever go out.

These stoves get awesome reviews online in both Europe and the US but the price (even used) is dear. Probably just bite the bullet.

Those are nice... happen to know of any good condition used ones for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    Those are nice... happen to know of any good condition used ones for sale?
    No, but just check Kijiji. People practically give them away IF you're willing to remove them from their house. They're ludicrously heavy.

I've been watching daily since the end of summer. There's the Jotul I'm after and one other at about half the price.

Anything $400 or less is gone in a day to three, max.

Have yet to see a Fisher, so they must be well regarded.