LubeFX

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Scotch Whisky like? Any tips to drinking it? Expectations?

Default What is Scotch Whisky like? Any tips to drinking it? Expectations?

I'd like to see what the hubub on Scotch is all about and try a glass/miniature bottle but I want to do it right and go into it with proper expectations.

Honestly, I'm not much of an alcohol consumer. I can appreciate a good beer but that's about the limit of my taste bud experiences.

-Can someone tell me what to expect when trying Scotch?
    -Are there any specific ways to drink it, like how there is for wine? Do you take small sips? Let it sit in the mouth before swallowing? Should you "clean" your mouth before drinking it?
    -Some people speak of adding water, if I were to mix it myself, how much do you add?
    -I read that Glen Livet is a good "starter", any truth to that?
    -On the Glen Livet site in the Tasting Notes it has the following terms I'm not familiar with: 1) Nose, 2) Rubbed on the Hand, 3) Palate, 4) Finish.
    Can someone clarify them?

Any other comments or suggestions would be great

trial and error. go buy a bottle of jack daniels or whatever. put a glass down maybe a couple ice cubes drink. and either grow some hair on your chest or swear against whiskey for the rest of your life.

Scotch whistkey is a bit different than jack daniels or the sort....single malt is meant to be drank straight, never mixed....whereas blended scotch can be used for mixing....

i have a couple bottles of scotch ranging from cheap 80 dollar bottles of Oban (14 year), which would be a good starter to 200 dollar bottles of glenfiddich(30 year) i prefer the older but they are alas a little more expensive....

i recommend sipping a glass once in a while with a bit of ice in it....i think adding water is just if its too strong for you...

the other terms a cant remember from my bartending course....i have some paper work on scotch somewhere but cant find it....sorry

Steve

if you wanna learn some more about drinking I suggest you hit up the Legends school of alcohol in Cold Lake.

My dad is a big scotch drinker so I've sampled a few but am by no means an expert. Jack Daniels isn't like scotch. It's as thin as water compared to scotch, Scotch Whiskey is...."thicker" and "mustier". Those are the only ways I can describe it. Either way, the "real" way to drink it is to poor it into a glass and sip it at room temperature.

I'd suggest doing what 94turbocoupe said and start off with the cheaper stuff like Oban (how anyone can say $80 is cheap is beyond me but whatever ). I prefer Oban to say...Cardhu which, to me, is like syrup.

B-Wurm
    downSHIFT!

just say no

The best place to get good whiskey is a greenhouse or garden centre. Get an uncut whiskey barrel & add a little water to it & lay it on it's side, the water brings out the whiskey in the wood. Everyday rotate it a little bit until you've done a full turn. Then empty it into something, filtering it with a clean cloth.

I was lucky enough last year to buy a barrel that was still 20% full of whiskey at the local Canadian Tire for $70. I've had quite a few people that said they weren't drinkers at all, but they really liked this stuff.

Kyle

Cool keep them coming

Originally posted by droppedatbirth
    trial and error. go buy a bottle of jack daniels or whatever. put a glass down maybe a couple ice cubes drink. and either grow some hair on your chest or swear against whiskey for the rest of your life.
    I'd have to advise against that. Jack Daniels is not Scotch, and can't be used as a measuring stick as to wether you can take Scotch or not.

95turbocoupe has pretty much the exact same story as I do.

Pure single malts, drink straight, on ice, or with water. If it is still too strong, try mixing with club soda once or twice, to get used to the taste.

To be honest, the first time you drink Scotch, it will likely be vile to you. The second time, you'll notice the taste of wood, and once you've tried it a few times, you don't even taste what was the only thing you could taste the first time. Now get down to enjoying what Scotch distillers put their heart and soul into.

IMO, if you're mixing with anything that has flavour (coke) you are missing the point, and should have just gotten some Rye.

Try some Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, even Balantine's, but avoid Jonny Walker *shudder*.

I am a Glenfiddich guy, and would love to get my hands on another bottle of 30yr, but you need to have a damn good reason to spend $200 on a bottle of whiskey, and I haven't had any yet. In fact, if it weren't for my wife buying it for me, I probably never would have tried it.

The older it is, (usually, from a reputable distiller) the smoother it is. Just don't spend more than $80 on your first bottle of Scotch, because you may decide you will never like it, and will have $70 worth of yellow paint thinner sitting on your shelf for years.